Wednesday, November 29, 2006

HOME 1 & 2 (2004-06)


Home 2 - My Make Believe Home/Country - DOLL KIT, 2006
digital print on canvas, 100x70cm.

Home 1 (in collaboration with Natasha Stelmach)
My Make Believe Home
digital print, 100x70cm.

With the "Cut-out Paper Pioneer Doll-kit" I investigate my make believe country, Former Yugoslavia 1943-1991 (the country of my childhood). In what appears to be a childish game of doll dressing, I actually examine, play and suggest the multiple ideas and social phenomenons that affect the individuals’ identity. The doll dress items and vows symbolize the ideology of the "make believe country" that encourages the best human characteristics (love, honesty, respect, friendship) to the naked doll (the innocent child) in contrast to the contemporary culture that encourages creation of super heroes (power).
Slavica Janešlieva


No comments:

Post a Comment